Thursday, May 26, 2011

Why do we serve missions?

Part of Being a Latter-day Saint, is having a knowledge that you are led by a prophet who speaks with God personally. He is one who can receive revelation concerning the affairs of the world and helps in our efforts to receive personal revelation on our own from God. Here is his message on preparing to serve a mission. Why do so many young men and women of the LDS faith feel a desire to serve missions? The answer varies for each one of us, but most of them choose to serve out of a deep rooted faith that we can and should bless the lives around us with the good news of Jesus Christ.




Why I chose to serve a mission:


Growing up I have always been aware of the Love that my Savior has had for me. For as long as I can remember I was hearing stories about Jesus Christ and his love for me and how I could turn to him if I was ever sad or mad and he would help me to feel happy again. I knew that he was real and that he was my friend. That was my understanding of him as a child. 



As I grew older my understanding of the savior grew. As I went through trials that I could only receive comfort from the Savior. Every time, I was able to come out of those dark trials with the Savior's help I was that much closer to Him. Every time, I would have the Spirit of God in my life that much more and I was that much happier all the time. because I had entered into a covenant with God to always keep his commandments. As I lived up to that promise, to keep his commandments, and repenting and promising to do better when I fall short, the Holy Ghost would return to my life.


The opportunity to help others receive the same peace and joy that I have felt from entering into a sacred promise with God through being baptized has always appealed me. After having been out for nearly a year, I don't want it to come to an end; with just one short year to go! My purpose is and always will be, to invite others to come unto Christ; by helping them receive the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, returned once again upon the earth. I may only get 2 years to devote my entire life to this cause, but I will always continue to share this glad message with those around me throughout my life. It has blessed my life in ways others can only guess at and it will do the same for you.



I know that Jesus is the Christ. I know that he has called a prophet, Thomas S. Monson, on the earth once again. Listen to his words and feel the power of his testimony of the resurrected Savior! Hear his words and the words of his 12 apostles today that lead and guide the world through a time or tremendous turmoil. Their council to the world begins 1 min into the video. Check it out!  





No comments:

Post a Comment