Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Relationships in our Lives

Have you ever stopped to think about all the people you have come to know throughout life? I have done this a time or two in my life and again the other day. The more I study it out in my mind the more I come to find I appreciate the role they have played in my life.

Each and everyone of us has a unique personality, background, and point of view. Part of being a christian is to be "willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life." 1

I have found that as I have done this with people in my life I have not only become more Christ-like but I have been able to see things through their eyes a little better. After all, Jesus Christ when he suffered for us, he experienced everything we personally experience. As a prophet of God once declared:

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me." 2

As we extend an ear or help someone in life, we are acting as an extension of our Savior, Jesus Christ. We stand in his place giving comfort, love,encouragement, etc. As we do so we begin to understand and feel some of the things the Savior felt for each of us. Is it no wonder that the lord said:

"Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward." 3

May we be an "example of the believers" at all times and create lasting friendships in our lives that we will remember forever! How grateful I am, for the many friends who have been there for me in my life and have supported me when I was low. For my family, who continues to support and strengthen me from hundreds of miles away. And for my Loving Heavenly Father and Brother, Jesus Christ who have and always will bless my life for the better.

May we do our best to show our appreciation and love to him in the way we live our lives.

References:
1. Mosiah 18:9
2. Alma 7:11-13
3. D&C 58: 27-28

No comments:

Post a Comment