Friday, April 29, 2011

Reflection; What do You See?

The ability to look at one's life and evaluate what he/she sees with honesty and integrity, is critical. All too often in life we overlook the things that are of true importance.
A wise prophet of God once stated: "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.1" With that understanding we can see the importance of being able to look at the path we are on; the life, we are living.


When one looks into a mirror one will find their reflection. Have you ever looked into your reflection and seen something that you didn't like? Perhaps you see a scar? Perhaps you see something deeper, possibly, even guilt or shame? Personally, I have found myself looking at my reflection, seeing pain and despair caused by the trials of life and asked the question- "Why? Why me... why now?" 

However, I have also found that during some of those hardest trials in life, I have seen a different image than one of despair or grief. It is a perspective of hope and joy. Whenever I have seen that image during troubled times it has been due to a change in perspective. A perspective that comes from knowing that because of my Savior, Jesus Christ, I don't have to be perfect in life; I just have to strive for perfection. I don't have to be weighed down by the mistakes made in life. In fact, I see the potential that I have as a child of God; if, I let him into my life. If, I do my part in following his path for me in life. The path he has for us, in life.

Jesus Christ taught that the great commandment was to, "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.2" Then the understanding that, "this is love, that we walk after [God's] commandments... Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.3" May we all follow Christ's example and "choose... this day, whom [we] will serve4" with all our heart, soul, mind, even to the following of his commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment